Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mommyhood



Hmm, what can I say about motherhood? It is the best thing I've ever done. It is also the hardest thing I've ever done.

I knew my whole life that I wanted babies. As a small child up until I was probably too old I had baby dolls. These baby dolls were my children. My sister & I took trips with our babies without ever leaving our room. We pretended to have homes & husbands & countless children. These are wonderful memories that I have.



As I got older I had little brothers & they became my babies & I adored them then as much as I do now. I was 9 when David was born & almost 12 when Jesse was born. I thought I was completely grown up.

Then came years of babysitting. I babysat all the time. I babysat babies, toddlers, little boys & girls & some that weren't so little. I loved that, too. I loved these kids, usually.



Years went by and I always longed for babies of my own. I was 27 when Eli was born. Wow! What an amazing time in my life. He was a perfect baby. He didn't fuss or fight. He was just my little angel. He still is, he's just more opinionated now! Joshua was next, when Eli was 18 months old. He was much the same as Eli as a baby. He was sweet & content. He is now rather "strong willed" or hardheaded. He forgets nothing & in turn I don't either, because he won't let me. Then came Jacob. Eli was almost 4 & Joshua was 2 1/2. Jacob is precious. It's still early but he doesn't fuss & he is extremely content! He smiles & "talks" to me all the time!


All of that being said, this is also such a tough job. It is so hard to see them sick or unhappy. It's frustrating when they don't listen & it is maddening when they destroy a room for no other reason than "I wanted to"!


Nothing on earth could have prepared me for this journey but there is nothing I'd rather be doing. I love my boys with all my heart, even when I'm frustrated.

No comments: